Some homeowners often don’t think a lot about their HVAC system until it stops working. But do you know the biggest source of an early HVAC system breakdown or failure? Well, the leading reason why your HVAC system breaks down unexpectedly is because of dirty air filters and failure to change them. Your heating and cooling system could suffer if you forget to change your air filter regularly. The dirty filter clogs and prevents air from passing into your system. As a result, your HVAC unit, specifically your furnaces or air conditioning, needs to work harder to heat or cool your home evenly.
Importance Of Air Filters
Usually, an air filter consists of a spun fiberglass material or pleated paper and is surrounded by a cardboard frame. Air filter’s premier function is to clean the air that circulates through your heating and cooling system. Also, they are placed into a specific area of your HVAC systems, where they work as a barrier to prevent contaminants such as dust, pollen, mold, and other debris from buildup.
The Specific Numbers Of Days Of When To Change Your Air Filters
- Your air filter should be changed every 90 days in a typical home with no pets.
- Your HVAC air filters should be replaced every 60 days if your home has a single pet.
- It is advisable to clean or replace your air filters anywhere between 20 to 45 days, most especially if one or more people in your home suffers from allergies.
Below Are The Following Consequences Of Not Changing Your Air Filters:
- Higher Energy Bills- When you fail to clean or replace your air filter regularly, they become clogged. As a result, air cannot circulate easily through your heating and cooling system. It causes your HVAC units to work harder, which increases your energy consumption since the air is running for longer.
- Premature HVAC System’s Failure- As your heating and cooling system is working harder to get around clogged air filters, it can cause your entire system to overwork, which eventually results in a premature system breakdown.
- Cold & Hot Spots Within Your Premises- Since clogged air filters make your HVAC system work harder, heated and cooled air cannot sufficiently flow where it is needed. It means your home’s premises could be left too hot in the summer or cold during the winter season.
- Health Issues- If you fail to change or clean your air filters, the more likely to suffer is the person who has present respiratory problems, including asthma or allergies.
So, if you want to prevent this from happening, having your air filters cleaned or replaced regularly comes in handy.
Heating & Cooling Services You Can Trust!
Here at Metro Heating Repair, we are your reliable partner when it comes to heating and air conditioning services as well as any other HVAC repair. Whether you are here to install a new heating and air conditioning unit or any air conditioning repair, our team of experts can always help. Our team of professionals operates 24/7 to handle just any HVAC services you desire, big or small. So, if you need quality and long-lasting heating and air conditioning services, turn to Metro Heating Repair today!